Friday, September 16, 2011

日本。最初。印象。

Impression one

                It was at the Kansai International Airport that I spent my first night in Japan. I knew that I would need to spend a night at the airport because the pick-up service was not available the day I arrived. I thought that it would not be too bad staying at the airport for a night because it would be safe, clean and cool. It was indeed very safe and clean, but I was not able to sleep at all because it was too hot. In order to save electricity, the airport shut down the escalators, some lights and air conditioners around 2 am. The flash lights of the vending machines at the airport were not supposed to be on unless the machine was being used. The major reason for the airport to use as less as electricity is obvious. The influence of the 311 earthquake requires everywhere in Japan to work together so that the country can overcome the tragic. But I assume that even without the 311 earthquake, Japanese people have been always environmental friendly with a strong awareness of environmental issues since Japan is a land with scarce energy resources. Japanese people are trying to use the least energy in the best way.

Impression two

                Since I was sweating and unable to sleep, I frequently went to the toilet during my night at the airport so that I could wash my face and cool down a little bit. For me, the toilet was “friendly.” First of all, covers for toilet seats were provided so that people can use the toilet without worrying too much about being in contact of what the previous users may leave on the seat. But the most remarkable thing about the toilet at the airport is the small toilet seat designed for children. There are labels on the door showing that the small seat can be placed in the middle of the usual seat so that the hole will become small enough for children to use the toilet without the risk of falling into the toilet. This surprised me a lot because it was the first time I had ever saw toilet seats for children in public. And this made me believe that Japan is child-friendly country.
Toilet in Japan can also be very confusing to foreigners, but there are helpful instructions :

1 comment:

  1. You layout is quite colorful. You might consider having your photos larger in the future. You have some interesting observations right off the bat at the airport. But be careful with drawing conclusions so early. Environmentalism, at least in the western sense, is relatively new in Japan and not so traditional. I think the kids' seat in the bathroom is where the parent puts the kid when the parent uses the toilet. And the low birthrate might suggest that Japan isn't so child-friendly. Remember, you want to treat these posts like they are academic papers. Fieldwork and research will make your posts stronger. I feel your enthusiasm in this post and I look forward to reading about your future adventures and experiences.

    Please enable anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete